The Training (Subclass 407) Visa is a short stay visa for applicants to complete an occupational training or professional development in Australia. The Training visa allows people to undertake occupational training in Australia to meet occupational registration or licensing requirements, to enhance skills in their occupation or for capacity building overseas.
This visa allows applicants to work for an approved sponsor in a specific occupation, whilst partaking in a structured training program provided by the. employer. There are three streams through which an applicant can obtain a 407 visa:
- Workplace Based Occupational Training: Applicants who have recent qualifications and/or experience intending to take part in workplace-based training to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study or field of expertise.
- Training that promotes capacity building overseas: this pathway is for applicants who wish to participate in a professional development training program in Australia and Students who need to complete an internship as part of their qualification and government-supported workplace trainees.
- Work-based training for registration: Applicants hoping to gain registration/licencing as part of their occupational requirement (trade occupations)
The Training (Subclass 407) Visa is a temporary visa which permits the holder to live in Australia, while completing a training for the sponsoring employer, in the nominated position.
With this visa, you can:
- Live in Australia for up to 2 years and complete the training specified in your application
- Leave and re-enter Australia frequently till the visa is valid
- Bring eligible family members to accompany you in Australia
To apply for the Training (Subclass 407) Visa, you must be nominated by an approved employer and meet a number of other requirements:
- Have turned 18 (or can demonstrate exceptional circumstances)
- Have functional English
- Hold private health insurance
- Have access to sufficient funds to support themselves and the accompanying members of the family unit while in Australia
- Genuinely intend to stay temporarily in Australia for the intended purpose
- Meet health and character requirements
How long can you stay?
The visa is generally valid for stay in Australia for up to 2 years depending on your Training Plan. The visa is subject to condition 8102 which forbids work apart from the training specified in the visa application.
Application Fees and processing time
a.Main Applican (Short Term List) – $310.00
b. Secondary Applicant over 18: $310.00
c. Secondary applicant under 18: $80.00
Processing Time – 44 to 66 days