Loading Spinner
Get in touch
Student Visa (subclass 500)

I need a visa to temporary study in Australia

Student Visa (subclass 500)

The Student visa enables applicants to stay in Australia for the duration of the relevant course.
The exact requirements for this visa will depend upon the education provider and your passport nationality.
Book a consultation


The purpose of this visa is to allow international students to undertake full-time education and training in Australia. This visa enables a student to stay in Australia for the duration of the relevant course.  The student must enroll, or in some cases have a letter of offer, with an Australian education provider before lodging a visa application. You can apply to undertake two or more courses on your Student Visa where there is a clear progression from one course to another.

Book a consultation


With this visa, you can:

  • participate in an eligible course of study in Australia
  • travel in and out of Australia
  • work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once your course starts
  • You can include family members (Partner, Child or Step-child) when you lodge your visa application.

It is possible to change course and Education provider without applying for a new student Visa, depending on the circumstances. 


The exact requirements for this visa will depend upon the level of risk assigned to your application (the ‘Immigration Risk’), which is a combined immigration risk assessment determined by the risk rating of the education provider and your passport nationality.

As visa applicant, you must:

  • enrol with an Australian education provider as a full-time student, and obtain written confirmation of this enrolment (predominantly on-line courses are not eligible)
  • genuinely intend to complete the relevant period of study in Australia
  • have the required level of English language proficiency unless exempt
  • have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your intended stay in Australia
  • have access to sufficient funds to cover your return airfares, tuition fees and the cost of living in Australia, as well as costs required for any dependents included in your application.

As part of your student visa application, the department will assess whether you are genuinely going to stay in Australia temporarily.

How long can you stay?

This is a temporary visa to study up to 5 years. The type of course and its length will determine the period of stay. 

To continue studying in Australia, you must apply for a new Student visa.

Application Fees and processing time

a.Main Applicant: $620.00

b. Secondary Applicant over 18: $460.00

c. Secondary applicant under 18: $150.00

Processing Time – 30 to 46 days

Let's talk!

Tell us what's your plan and we'll be happy to help you moving to Australia

You can also contact us

by phone, from Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm at +61 4055 8859

by mail, at admin@atlasmigration.com