The Skilled Work Regional (subclass 491) Visa is a Temporary Visa which enables eligible skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in designated regional areas of Australia for 5 years. It is available both to skilled workers who are already living and working in Australia as temporary residents and to those living outside Australia. This visa is available to applicants who are skilled in an occupation on a state or territory occupation list. Each state or territory has its own list of occupations, requirements and processes depending on the skill shortages in that area.
Visa holders will be eligible to apply for a Permanent Residence visa after three years.
In order to apply for a Skilled Work Regional (subclass 491) visa, you must first lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited by be nominated by:
- an Australian state or territory government agency or
- sponsored by an eligible family member residing in a designated regional area
Once you are invited to apply for a skilled visa, you must lodge your application within 60 days, otherwise the invitation lapses. Accordingly, it is very important that you have all required documentation prepared to lodge as soon as possible after receiving the invitation.Book a consultation
Once a subclass 491 visa is granted the visa holder can remain in a designated regional area of Australia for up to five years, with a permanent residency pathway available after three years. Dependent family members may be included and must also live, work and study in a designated regional area.
With this visa, you can:
- Stay in Australia for 5 years from the date we grant you the visa
- live, work and study in a designated region of Australia
- travel to and from Australia as many times as you want, while the visa is valid
- apply for permanent residence after 3 years through the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191) – which commences on 16 November 2022.
Visa holders can move between regional areas. Regional areas are defined as any area excluding Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Important change: Perth and Gold Coast are classified as regional areas. You may work in any occupation and for any employer in line with the work and residence conditions attached to your visa.
IMPORTANT: Holders of the new provisional visas will also be unable to apply for most other visas (subclass 189/190/820/186) in Australia until they have completed at least three years in a designated regional area unless exceptional circumstances exist.
To be eligible for this visa, applicants must be skilled in an occupation on the relevant State Government Occupation List and be nominated by that State OR by an Eligible Family Member.
Applicants must also meet the following criteria:
- meet the points test pass mark of 65 points (check your points)
- Have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
- Lodge an Expression of Interest and be invited to apply
- Be aged between 18 and 44 inclusive
- have Competent English or higher
- be invited to apply by the State or Territory.
- Meet health and character requirements
How long can you stay?
This is a temporary visa. You can stay in Australia for 5 years from the date we grant your visa. It allows the applicant to apply for permanent residence after 3 years through the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191) – which commences on 16 November 2022.
Application Fees and processing time
a.Main Applican: $4,045.00
b. Secondary Applicant over 18: $2,025.00
c. Secondary applicant under 18: $1,010.00
Processing Time – Unavailable due to low volume of applications