Loading Spinner
Get in touch
Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

I need a visa to live and work in Australia without a sponsor

Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

The Skilled Independent Visa is a General Skilled Migration visa and it does not require to be sponsored by a State or Territory Government or relative in Australia.
This visa provides the holder with Australian permanent residency with no conditions. The holder can live and work wherever they like in Australia.
Book a consultation


The Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) visa is a permanent General Skilled Migration visa which does not require sponsorship by a State/Territory Government or relative in Australia. 

In order to apply for a Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa, you must first lodge an Expression of Interest and be invited by the Department of Immigration to apply. 

Once you are invited to apply for a skilled visa, you must lodge your application within 60 days, otherwise the invitation lapses. Accordingly, it is very important that you have all required documentation prepared to lodge as soon as possible after receiving the invitation.

Book a consultation


This visa provides the holder with an Australian permanent residency with no conditions. The holder can live and work wherever they like in Australia. Although the visa is granted based on the holder being skilled in a specific occupation, once granted, the visa doesn’t require you to seek or maintain employment in this occupation.

With this visa, you can

  • stay in Australia permanently
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare 
  • sponsor eligible relatives to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • apply for Australia Citizenship , if eligible


This visa is available to applicants who are skilled in an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) (this link to resources)

  • have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
  • Lodge an Expression of Interest  and be invited to apply
  • meet the points test pass mark of 65 points (check your points)
  • Be aged between 18 and 44 inclusive
  • have Competent English
  • be invited to apply.
  • Meet health and character requirements

How long can you stay?

This is a permanent visa – it lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.

You become a permanent resident on the day the visa is granted.

Your permanent residency for citizenship purposes starts:

  • on the day the visa is granted if you are in Australia
  • on the day you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia

Application Fees and processing time

a.Main Applican: $4,045.00

b. Secondary Applicant over 18: $2,025.00

c. Secondary applicant under 18: $1,010.00

Processing Time – Unavailable due to low volume of applications (5 to 15 months)

Let's talk!

Tell us what's your plan and we'll be happy to help you moving to Australia

You can also contact us

by phone, from Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm at +61 4055 8859

by mail, at admin@atlasmigration.com