The Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Subclass 494 ) Visa, came into force in November 2019 and replaced the Subclass 187 Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa (RSMS).
The Subclass 494 visa is a Temporary Visa with 673 eligible occupations and is an exciting new pathway to Permanent Residence. This new regional visa allows you to transition to Permanent Residence after three years of you and your family living, working and/or studying in your regional area. This is basically everywhere in Australia except Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane.
A business must become an approved Sponsor in order to employ a 494 visa holder.Book a consultation
Once a 494 visa is granted, provided the visa holder maintains the nominated employment within the designated regional area, they can remain in Australia for up to five years, with a permanent residency pathway available after three years. Dependent family members may be included and must also live, work and study in a designated regional area..
With this visa, you can:
- live, work and study in Australia only in designated regional areas of Australia for 5 years
- travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid
- apply for permanent residence after 3 years through the Permanent Residence Skilled Regional visa (subclass 191) – which commences on 16 November 2022.
You can bring your family with you (they can work and study).
IMPORTANT: Holders of the new provisional visas will also be unable to apply for most other visas (subclass 189/190/820/186) in Australia until they have completed at least three years in a designated regional area unless exceptional circumstances exist.
To apply for the Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional Visa (SESR) visa, you must be nominated by an approved employer and meet a number of other requirements:
The role that the employer wants to fill must appear as an occupation on the Regional Occupation List (goes to resources)
The salary for the nominated position must meet two requirements.
- Firstly, the remuneration must be above the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT). This threshold is set by DIBP each year and is currently $53,900 plus superannuation.
- Secondly, the proposed salary must be within the market rate for the role.
maximum age requirement of 45 at the time of application
- have a relevant qualification at the skill level required for the job
- Have been employed in the nominated occupation for at least 3 years on a full-time basis and at the skill level required for the nominated occupation.
- You also must have a positive skills assessment at the time of application
Competent English – IELTS (or equivalent test) score of 6 in each component.
How long can you stay?
This is a provisional visa. You can stay in Australia for a period of 5 years from when your visa is granted. You can’t stay in Australia longer by extending this Visa, you can apply for permanent residence after 3 years from the time your visa is granted applying for the Subclass 191 Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa
Conditions and pathway to PR:
Application Fees and processing time
a.Main Applicant: $4,045.00
b. Secondary Applicant over 18: $2,025.00
c. Secondary applicant under 18: $1,010.00
Processing Time – Processing times for this visa are not currently available for the low number of application