The Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) visa is a permanent residency visa for skilled workers. To be eligible for this visa, a skilled individual must be nominated by an Australian employer. This visa involves a two-step process:
- a Nomination by an Australian employer; and
- a Visa Application by the skilled overseas worker.
To apply for the ENS (sub. 186) Visa, the applicant must be nominated in one of the positions included in the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List.Book a consultation
This visa provides the holder with Australian permanent residency. Although the visa is granted based on the holder being skilled in a specific occupation, once granted, the visa doesn’t require you to seek or maintain employment in this occupation.
With this visa, you can
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme (Medicare)
- sponsor eligible relatives to come to Australia
- apply for Australia Citizenship, if eligible
You can bring your family with you (they can work and study) and you can travel in and out of Australia as often as you like.
The role that the employer wants to fill must appear as an occupation on the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List.
The salary for the nominated position must meet two requirements.
- Firstly, the remuneration must be above the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT). This threshold is set by DIBP each year and is currently $53,900 plus superannuation.
- Secondly, the proposed salary must be within the market rate for the role.
maximum age requirement of 45 at the time of application will apply to Direct Entry
Competent English – IELTS (or equivalent test) score of 6 in each component.
The subclass 186 visa has two main streams, the Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) Stream and the Direct Entry (DE) Stream. Each stream has different criteria.
1. The Temporary Residence Transition Stream
To apply in the TRT stream, you must be the holder of a 457 visa or a 482 visa. Your occupation must be on the included in the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (unless your Visa was approved before the 18 April 2017).
You must have worked for your sponsor for three years whilst the holder of one of these visas (482 or 457), in the same occupation with you nominating employer who wants to offer you a permanent position in that occupation.
2. The Direct Entry Stream
The Direct Entry stream is for applicants who have not worked on a 457 visa/ TSS 482 Visa with their nominating employer for 3 years, but who are formally qualified in their occupation and have worked for at least three years at a skilled level in their occupation included in the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List.
Applicants in the DE stream must have an occupation on the MLTSSL and are required have:
- a relevant qualification at the skill level required for the job
- a minimum of three years relevant work experience
- must a positive skills assessment in this occupation before being able to apply.
How long can you stay?
This is a permanent visa – it lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
Your permanent residency starts:
- on the day the visa is granted if you are in Australia
- on the day you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia
Application Fees and processing time
a.Main Applicant: $4,045.00
b. Secondary Applicant over 18: $2,025.00
c. Secondary applicant under 18: $1,010.00
Processing Time – 5 to 15 months