The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) is work visa for international students who have completed 2 years of study in Australia. It can last from between 18 months and 4 years depending on your situation. The primary applicant must be in Australia when
they make their application for a 485 visa, and must have held an eligible student visa within the 6 month period prior to lodgement. There are two Eligible Stream under the Temporary Graduate Visa depending on the course of studies you completed:
Whilst on a 485 visa, you have unrestricted work rights in Australia.
With this visa, you can:
- stay in Australia, usually for 18 months
- travel, work or study in Australia during your stay
This Visa has different requirements depending on the Stream:
- You must be under 50 years of age.
- You must have held a student visa within the past 6 months before your application
- Apply for the visa from within Australia
- Have health insurance for the duration of your visa (OVHC)
- Have English level IELTS 6, with no score lower than 5 (or equivalent English test) – unless you hold a passport for UK, USA, NZ, Ireland or Canada. The English test must have been taken within 3 years of your application
- Have not previously held the temporary graduate or skilled graduate visa
- you completed your course at the university level as a result of at least two academic years (92 weeks) study
- you were physically in Australia for at least 16 calendar months to complete the study
- Have a degree, diploma or trade qualification closely related to an occupation on the Medium and Long Term List that occupation
- Have a Skills Assessment for the occupation from the relevant
Duration of the 485 visa will depend on your circumstances.
Gradate Work stream visas are valid for 18 months from the date of grant of the application.
Duration of the Post Study Work (PSW) Stream depends on which qualification and whether you have completed your study in a regional area in Australia. If you study in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane your PSW duration will be:
- 2 years: completion of Bachelor Degree, Bachelor with Honours, Masters by Coursework or Masters (Extended)
- 3 years: Masters by Research
- 4 years: Doctorate
a. Main Applican: $1,650.00
b. Secondary Applicant over 18: $825.00
c. Secondary applicant under 18: $415.00
Processing Time – between 90 days to 4 months