The Temporary Skill Shortage (subclass 482) Visa is one of Australia’s most popular visas. The 482 Visa allows skilled workers to come to Australia and work for an approved business for up to four years. A business can sponsor someone for this visa if they cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident in that specific position. A business must be approved as a Standard Business Sponsor in order to employ a TSS visa holder.
You can work in your nominated occupation for your approved Australian sponsor under one of the following:
- the Short-Term stream
- the Medium-Term stream
- the Labour Agreement stream
The nominated position will determine which stream you fall into. You can check what stream your occupation fall into in the Combined List of Eligible Skilled Occupations.
The Temporary Skill Shortage (Subclass 482) Visa is a temporary visa which permits the holder to live in Australia, while working full-time only for the sponsoring employer, in the nominated position.
With this visa, you can:
- work in Australia only for your sponsor for up to 4 years
- travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid
- if eligible, reach permanent residence
You can bring your family with you (they can work and study).
The applicant must have his skills required to fulfil the role.
All TSS visa applicants are required to:
- have a relevant qualification at the skill level required for the job
- have at least 2 years on a full-time experience (or equivalent) and at the skill level required for the nominated occupation.